When you should consult a podiatrist

Although self-diagnosis and self-treatment can be effective there are times when it is highly advisable to seek professional advice and help.

You should always consult a foot specialist (podiatrist) if you experience any of the following symptoms:

  • Severe or persistent pain in your feet or ankles
  • Severe cracking, scaling, or peeling on the heel or foot
  • Foot blisters
  • Changes in the nails or skin on your foot

You should also seek professional help if you see signs of bacterial infection on your feet or ankles. Symptoms of this include:

  • Thickening toenails that become uncomfortable
  • Heel pain accompanied by redness or numbness
  • Tingling in the heel, bought on without putting any weight or pressure on it
  • Pain, swelling, redness or tenderness
  • Discharge from any part of the foot
  • Foot or ankle problems that don’t respond to treatment with an OTC (over the counter) product Spreading of an infection from one area of the foot to another