Problems with feet can also indicate more serious medical conditions, particularly among older adults. Health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes, nerve issues, and circulatory disorders, often first affect the feet, so it’s important to check them regularly. Always seek expert advice if you notice a problem.
Foot care tips for seniors:
- Check your feet regularly or have a member of your family check them for you.
- Encourage good circulation by elevating your feet when resting , and stretching if you've had to sit for long periods. A massage or warm foot bath can also be very good for circulation.
- Avoid smoking, which decreases blood supply and increases the chance of other circulatory problems.
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes.
- Avoid allowing the feet to become too cold.